As a parent, it can feel like all day, every day is a lesson in putting our kids first. And most of the time we do it with little to no recognition. But humility isn’t just about the serving. It’s about the attitude behind it and love that motivates it. This month, work on going above and beyond to do things for your children with a humble heart—and not a tired, reluctant or frustrated one. As the most powerful people in the house, we have the opportunity to set the tone for what serving others in humility looks like. Because our kids are more than just the recipients of our humility, they are observers of it, and taking cues on how to do it themselves.
We want to help with this. That's why this month we are learning in Kid's church about humility: putting others first by giving up what you think you deserve. Below you'll discover what we're talking about each week, and you'll also see a few downloadable resources that you can use to help continue the conversation at home with your kids. We hope you find this helpful!
- April 2 - Jesus Washes the Disciples' Feet: I can put others first by serving them. John 13:1-17
- April 9 - Jesus Praying in the Garden: I can put others first by letting go of what I want. Matthew 26:36-56
- April 16 - Jesus is Crucified, Buried and Resurrected: I can put others first because Jesus put me first. John 18:12-20:23
- April 23 - The Great Commission and Ascension: I can put others first by doing what Jesus said. Matthew 28:16-20
- April 30 - Humility of Jesus: Put others first. Philippians 12:3-8
Downloadable devotions that you could do with your kids: (Daily devotionals for each week)
Parent Cue Sheet to give you meal time discussion ideas with your kids, morning time conversations, and other information:
You can also join our parents Facebook group to get more ideas during the week.
Additional verses and discussion points you could use with your kids to help continue the discussion: