Sharable notes for the September 9, 2018 message. You can post these notes on your social platform!
- We’re so busy doing to prove or show our worth, to gain identity, to provide or attain security that we keep doing and doing and doing, but in keeping on doing we’re keeping ourselves from rest.
- The Psalmist reminds us that when we go to sleep at night, God’s still taking care of everything, including us, and He can do it way better than we can.
- “Sometimes the godliest thing you can do in the universe is get a good night’s sleep - not pray all night, but sleep. I’m certainly not denying that there may be a place for praying all night; I’m merely insisting that in the normal course of things, spiritual discipline obligates you get the sleep your body needs.” D.A. Carson
- The disciples slept through prayer, Jesus slept through storms. Who do you think you should be like?
- “Like a parent who coaxes a cranky toddler to lie down for an afternoon nap by lying down beside her, God woos us into rest by resting… God commands that we imitate Him in order to discover again that we’re not Him, and that we need Him. Sabbath is a return to Eden.” Mark Buchanan
- “God made sleep as a continual reminder that we should not be anxious but should rest in Him.” John Piper
- God ties His command to rest back to creation to remind us that we’re not God and we’re totally dependent on Him.
- If God can take care of your greatest need all by Himself, freedom from bondage, don’t you think you can trust Him to take care of your day-to-day needs?
- “Anyone who cannot obey God’s command to observe the Sabbath is a slave, even a self-imposed one. Your own heart, or our materialistic culture, or an exploitative organization, or all of the above, will be abusing you if you don’t have the ability to be disciplined in your practice of Sabbath.” Tim Keller
- Everything we need can be obtained in Christ. Our freedom is in Him. Our worth is in Him.Our identity is in Him. Our security is in Him.
- Jesus did not offer an escape from life, but a new way to do life.
- Rest is found in a relationship with Christ. Come to Jesus, and He will give you rest.
Click the image to start a new 5 day devotion in YouVersion: